This section provides a brief overview of the requirements to graduate with University Honors. Staff in the Honors Program Advisement Center, 102 MSRB, (801) 422-5497, are available on a walk-in basis to answer questions about the program.
To graduate with University Honors, a student must be an admitted daytime student who maintains a 3.0 or higher GPA throughout the program and completes all of the requirements below or see requirements here. Students must earn a B or higher in Honors courses for Honors Program credit.
Complete one of the following options:
Option 1: Complete 2 courses
- HONRS 310: Foundations of Interdisciplinary Leadership (1.0 credit)
- HONRS 390R: Honors Leadership Practicum (3.0 credits)
Option 2: Complete 1 course
- HONRS 391R: Honors Student Leadership Council (4.0 credits, 2 semesters, by application only)
Complete an original research project or creative work that is mentored by a faculty member.
- Submit a Thesis Proposal
- Defend your Thesis and pass
- Publish your work or project after successfully defending your thesis, see published Honors theses here.
- Research: You may request up to $1200 in research funds from the Honors Program to support your research, if the funds serve a bona fide research purpose. Please work closely with your advisor to develop a budget, and specify how you will use Honors program funding in your thesis proposal. See Thesis Proposal guidelines for additional information.
- Culminating Experiences: Students presenting thesis research at academic conferences, or those seeking off-campus publication venues, may request up to $1000 in support funds for these culminating experiences. This requires a separate conference funding request form.
Thesis Proposal Samples
- Anthropology - Gendered Material Culture in Prehistoric Eurasian Archaeological
- Accounting - Auditing Companies with Poor Internal Control
- Advertisement - Comparing Expressions of Human Used in Memes by Russian and English Speakers
- Applied Statistics - Clustering Healthcare Costs by Disease
- Art - Expressing Distance through Architecture
- Art History - The Allegory of Good and Bad Government
- Bioinformatics - Nicotiana Attenuata, Predictors of Psychosocial and Physiological Distress in Colorectal Cancer Patients
- Biology - Does Negative Frequency-Dependent Selection Maintain Male Polymorphism in the Livebearing Fish Xenophallus Umbratilis?
- Business - The Effects of Mergers and Acquisitions on the Short-Term Volatility of Security Prices
- Chemical Engineering - Development and Validation of Molecular Dynamics Simulation for FLiNak
- Classical Studies - Telling The Story of a Forgotten Martyr: Step One
- Communication Disorders - Using Electropalatography to Analyze Intra-Speaker Variability in German L2 Fricative Production
- Communications - The Use of Mass Media in the Lives of Juvenile Delinquents
- Computer Engineering - Adaptable ICSHK with Irregular QAM Constellations, Deep Learning for Acceleration of Spectrally-Sensitive MRI
- Computer Science - Computationally Modeling the Trophic Cascade in Yellowstone National Park, Formal Languages for Objective Specification in Multi-Objective Reinforcement Learning
- Dance - The Ballroom Bonus: A Qualitative and Journalistic Study of the Benefits of Ballroom Dance in Utah Valley Public Schools
- Economics - Effectiveness of Different Regime Types in Preserving Common Resources: Evidence from a Lab Experiment, The Price of Public Land: Elasticity of Demand Analysis of National Parks Entrance Fees
- Electrical Engineering - Increasing Isolation Between Closely Spaced Planar Tx/Rx Antennas
- Elementary Education - Transmitting Values of Bilingualism for Returnee Children in Rural Mexico
- English - Finding Scheherazade, Broadcasting the Search for Understanding: The Essay's Relationship with the Podcast
- Family Life - How Maternal Gatekeeping and Media Conflict Affect Media Monitoring in a Co-parental Context
- Finance - The Effects of Mergers and Acquisitions on the Short-Term Volatility of Security Prices
- Geography - Correlating NDVI to Forest Fires in British Columbia, Canada
- Graphic Design - Visualizing Cognitive Loads
- History - "The Paternal Care of a Patriot Legislature" - Legislative Instructions and the contested Boundaries of the Political Nation in Late Eighteenth-Century Ireland
- Interdisciplanary Humanites - A Translation of and Reflection on "No Hay Isla Feliz"
- International Relations Thesis Proposal - Populism and Political Palimpest: France's Revolutionary Political Culture
- Landscape Management - Landscape Foundations A Practical & Technical Guide to Landscape Maintenance
- Linguistics - Accepting Konglish: Emerging Conceptions of Korean Linguistic Identity
- Manufacturing Engineering - Novel Methods for Composites Recycling via Pyrolysis
- Mathematics / ACME - Dynamic Coalescence as a Mathematical Model of Leadership and Empirical Evidence of the Value of Strategic Sacrifice, Using Group Affinity to Predict Community Formation in Social Networks
- Mechanical Engineering - Evolution of MG AZ31 Twin Activation with Strain: A Machine Learning Study, Perception of Speech and Song in Religious Music: A Neurological Approach, Development of a Mid-Fidelity Aerodynamics Model of a Blown Wing
- Media Arts - Passanger Seat and An Examination of Female Power in the Thriller
- Microbiology - In Silico Discovery of Influenza Polymerase Inhibitors
- Molecular Biology - Qualitative Analysis of Caregivers Receiving an Educational Intervention on RHD in Samoa
- Music - Sacred Sounds: A Compassionate Listening Guide to Musical Worship, A Fascination with Our Dead: Addressing the Discord Between Modern Music and Museum Culture
- Neuroscience - The Effect of Student Emotional Maturity on Their Perception of Test Question Fairness, Self Regulation, Threat Perception, and Perceived Parental Support: an fMRI Investigation of Children with ADHD, Sex Differences in Ethanol Modulation of Dopamine Release in the Mesolimbic Reward System
- Nursing - Student Perspectives on Working in Interdisciplinary Teams to Improve mHealth, A Descriptive Study of Male Victims of Sexual Assault
- Nutritional Science - College Students' Report of Canned Foods and Their Current Understanding
- Physiology and Developmental Biology - The Effect of Overexpression of IRF5 on B-Cell Inflamatory and Co-Stimulatory Activity
- Physics - Order in Chaos: An Algorithmic Approach to Flocking Behavior, Gamma-ray Bursts in Inhomogeneous Interstellar Media
- Political Science - The Effect of Belief of Victory on Third Party Vote Share: How Evan McMullin Actually Won Utah in 2016, Motivations behind China's Increased Involvement in International Peacekeeping Operations
- Portuguese - Pages of the Revolution: Symbolism in Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen's O Nome das Coisas
- Psychology - Oxytocin Genotypes and Social Affiliation: A Model of the Genetic Underpinnings behind Social Bonding
- Public Health - Program coordinators experiences with introducing parent-focused health lessons to a child-centered nutritional supplement program: An exploration of recent programmatic changes in Liahona Children's Foundation
- Sociology - Country-Level Analysis of Differences in Educational Achievement between East and Southeast Asia
- Spanish / Pre-Dental - The Limitations and Capabilities of Hispanics and Dentists in Improving Hispanic Oral Health in the U.S.